Geography Crafts: Norway: Rosemaling

This year we're exploring Geography through arts and crafts!  We usually have another homeschooling family join us, and that's been fun too.  After our first lesson, Kaia asked if she could choose the next country.  I was certainly curious what she wanted!  She then requested something Norwegian because we have Norwegian ancestors.  When I learned about rosemaling, I knew it would be the perfect project.

Rosemaling is a traditional craft from Norway and Sweden.  I found these videos extremely helpful as I learned about the art:

Freehand Rosemaling Tutorial:



How to use a round brush:
I like how this lady uses two colors on her brush, but with a different technique that may be easier for children to imitate:




How to make a Rosemaling Flower:



One Stroke Flower Painting:


We first painted on paper and then on little wooden frames that I found at Wal-mart (for only a dollar!).  It may not look professional, but it was certainly educational...for me as much as for the kids!

2 comments:

Annette November 15, 2013 at 4:33 AM  

Wow, this looks like so much fun! The flowers are beautiful... Thanks for sharing :)

Jansen Family November 17, 2013 at 9:21 PM  

Thanks Annette! I completely agree--I want to be able to make them!

~Carla